Tuesday, April 28, 2009
No Cover Letter Needed
I have some work lined up starting Friday. At the ex-job, of all places. The HR lady, the one whose shoes I didn't throw up on almost a year ago, will be calling me later today to make the arrangements. It is hard to believe that I have not worked there in nearly a year. I'll be working in a different group, on a different floor with a different boss but with people that I love so much it hurts to not be able to see them on a daily basis.

A few weeks back I went to meet some of them for lunch and one former co-worker just looked at me and said "why'd they have to let you go? I really miss working with you." Talk about an ego boost.

They can boost the ego all they want for the coming three weeks, except the Friday before Memorial Day when they are closed and I'll be heading to the camper with the kids for a glorious weekend. Then it'll back to the grind of looking for a different, not-advertising job.

I've decided that I want to be a nutritionist/registered dietitian. I don't know why. Is that what a calling is? You feel an overwhelming desire to something just because? it could also because I don't feel fulfilled in advertising. You don't help anyone in advertising. There is a great deal of stress over stuff that really doesn't matter. I mean it matters, to the client who wants to make money, but not in the grand scheme of things. When you work in advertising you don't rest your head at night knowing you helped someone that day, or made difference. I could also be romanticizing the nutrition profession but to quote Scarlett O'Hara "I won't think about that today. I'll think about that tomorrow."

About 75 years ago, I completed the coursework for an associate's degree in graphic arts. I never filed for graduation because I was going finish up the four year program. I loved my professors, I wanted to return. Then we got married and then I wasn't sure I wanted to earn a bachelor's degree in graphic arts or advertising. I flirted with going for biology. I LOVED biology, I loved talking about DNA and lab work and gel electrophoresis was the bomb. I thought about majoring in French. I thought about majoring in English. I thought a lot about majoring in just about everything.

Then we had Sophie and then school really went on the back burner. About the time she was coming out of diapers, I started flirting with the idea of school again. Just a few classes. I'd sit down on the subway after work and read course catalogs and promptly fall asleep. I couldn't keep my eyes open and by the time Sophie was in bed the only thing I could manage to do was crawl into my own bed and sleep. Surprise! I was pregnant again.

About a month ago I went back to my college and said "hi! Remember me? Can I have my diploma, please?" And they were all "wait, who are you again?"

A meeting with the department chair was in order and he was so kind to me. He was happy to hear I'd been gainfully employed "in the field." He made a few phone calls. We talked some more and he helped me make arrangements for me to file for graduation. I'm still waiting to hear back but once I do I will begin applying for a few programs.

I know it won't be easy but it seems like much less of an undertaking knowing I have a lot required courses out of the way already and hopefully they will be transfer seamlessly. The last little piece to the puzzle is that I need to job to help pay for it, hence all the applications I've been sending to nearby colleges and universities. Tuition remission is my new favorite phrase!


4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

I actually think you would make a great dietician!! Go for it!

Anonymous Vikki said...

Congrats on the work and good luck in pursuing a new path!

Blogger Unknown said...

You would make agood dietician. Remember trying to get your kids to eat more nutritional foods?

Blogger Ali B. said...

Yes, I believe that IS called a calling. Yay for switching careers, for realizing that you can do anything. That is. Extremely. Inspirational.

Post a Comment

<< Home