Thursday, April 16, 2009
Bike Tour
Yesterday I rode my bike through a neighborhood in Brooklyn called Red Hook.

Years ago, when John and I moved in together, the New York Times ran an article about how the area was becoming an artists community. "Pfft," we said. "Obviously The New York Times didn't bother to visit the area." Don't ever ask us for real estate advice. We simply lack the genetic material to see potential in economically depressed, crime ridden areas on the water front. The area has flourished over the last several years, and what I'm about to show you barely scratches the surface.


When I started out I came across this, a CSA!

I love this sign outside of the farm. Probably the only one of it's kind in New York City.
As I went a little further along, I rode past the IKEA. I have yet to step foot in the store, mainly because I was opposed to the project.
This crane is in the IKEA parking lot.
I rode over to Van Dyke Street and came across this: the entrance to Steve's Authentic Key Lime Pies, Flickinger Glassworks and the Liberty Sunset Garden Center.
Then I rode over to Valentino Pier for a look at Lady Liberty. While there I learned that an island used to exist just off the coast. General George Washington built a fort there and called it Fort Defiance. It was small, but strategic. Once the American Revolution began, the American army, which was vastly outnumbered by the British, retreated and it was this fort that kept the ferry lane across the East River clear so that General Washington could lead his troops safely across it in their escape. (I dug around a little and found it mentioned here, if you are so inclined.)

I've lived here my whole life and this city never ceases to amaze me. The little shoreline in the picture below is a kayak launch!
This is the Waterfront Museum and Showboat Barge. I was watching them work on the pier this afternoon when I spied a rabbit running around the interior of the barge. We went back last night right before they closed to give the place a proper visit. (And meet the Duey the rabbit!)
Excellent question.
One of many restaurants I've been wanting to try.

I'll bet the inside of this bar is pretty kitschy.
This is the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. This particular portion is called "the trench." Traffic rarely flows this smoothly.
Finally, I headed home. Sophie attended the pre-school affiliated with this church before the New York Archdiocese shuttered it to save money. The parish priest bears a stunning resemblence to Ben Kingsley. John and I can never remember his name but if you say "Father Ben Kingsley," we'll know exactly who you're talking about.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Vikki said...

I enojyed the bike tour!

Blogger Andie said...

I definitely enjoyed the tour, thanks!

Post a Comment

<< Home