Monday, May 19, 2008
Well Ain't That a Kick in the Head
So there I was at work on Thursday, hopping around the office, getting stuff done, when I got a call asking if I had a moment to stop into the boss's office.

And that was that. 13.5 years of working for one company ended. 13.5 years of being in the same building M-F, 9-5+ is just not happening anymore.

We've been downsized a lot. My department alone lost over half it's staff this year so really, it could have happened to anyone. When the last deep cut happened in January, I was rattled every time the phone rang and worried. The other feeling I had was nausea. Deep, unrelenting waves of nausea that I couldn't shake.

So on Thursday when I went in, I was strangely OK with it. Finally, they had ripped the band aid off in one fell swoop and I no longer had to wonder if "today was the day." To my surprise, it was a relief. I may have gotten shaky in the voice and teary eyed, but I didn't throw up on HR's shoes. Now that's going out gracefully.



4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

OMG! Sorry to hear that...I'm calling you right now!

Blogger Unknown said...

Mer, I'm so sorry to hear about that. Thirteen and a half years!! Time to start anew.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how crappy.

After 13.5 years? Is it too late to go back and puke on HR's shoes?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Nah, forget that. This sucks.

Post a Comment

<< Home