Saturday, December 22, 2007
One of the Better Varieties of Holiday Spirit
I am so fortunate to work for a company that closes between Christmas and New Year's Day. Yesterday was our last day of work for the year and I thought I'd celebrate it by going to Toys R Us Times Square. At 5pm. On a Friday. The Friday before Christmas.

Self root-canal or chewing glass was probably a better alternative.

I only went because Harry's been asking for a Thomas and Friends playset and a quick google search turned up a wooden box which doubles at a storage case for the individual engines and a portable track. I took my chances in Times Square because that seemed better than sneaking over to a location closer to our house after the kids were in bed last night.

For the most part, it was tourists. Once you got past them, with their jingle-jangle holiday sweaters, you got to the nitty gritty New Yorkers who just needed to get in and out. There were maybe five of us.

I got what I needed and stood in line. A loooong line, which snaked far back into the aisles, where it mysteriously doubled back on itself. Then a very nice lady whispered to me "If you go over the foot bridge into the candy section there's no line."

I told this information to the nice guy in front of me who seemed slightly overwhelmed before high tailing it to the candy section and breezing through the line in five short minutes.

I made it back to work and picked up the rest of the stuff I'd need for the long Christmas break, including my laptop and another bag of gifts I should have brought home weeks ago. I was a sight on the train with my giant sacks of toys and laptop. And purse. And totebag.

I boarded the train and a nice guy quickly got up and offered my his seat. I politely declined because I was only going one stop, and if you know anything about traveling the subways it's better to just stand when you're lugging too much stuff around.

As we approached 42nd Street, another man offered me his seat. "Please sit, miss," he said in what I think was an Indian accent. "No thank you, this is my stop," I said.

"I wish you a very merry Christmas, then," he said. And we exited the train at 42nd.

More than any other year, I've noticed more and more people being kind to one another this season, in this, a city which is known for rudeness and hustle and bustle. More than once that spirit of kindness has brought me back from the brink of Christmas madness.

I hope you are able to find some unexpected cheer this season. It's the best kind there is.


3 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

ho, ho, ho ha, ha, ha....Sounds like you had a great day! I am steering clear of TRU til February. You must have has lots of tourists, cause here in good ole, SI, everyone's mean & nasty. I've had a few screaming matches already!!! Have a great one! Love ya!

PS: I absolutely love the Christmas card. Got it today. Where did you have it done?

Blogger Meredith said...

I designed the card myself and had it printed at Vista Print. They are quick and CHEAP but before you pay they try to sell you a lot of stuff.

I'm pretty proud of it. That's what you get when the job gives you a brand spankin' new Mac!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes Mer, I love the card too. The pictures are gorgeous! It's so nice to find the Christmas spirit in people! Hope you, John and the little ones have a wonderful holiday and a very happy and healthy new year!

Post a Comment

<< Home