Friday, November 30, 2007
Christmas Spirit
Despite a previous post lamenting the fact that holidays are over before they even arrive, I would just like to tell you this story, which has got my Christmas going and can I just say, I'm really excited?

Last weekend we went to the storage unit, the Murphy family annex where we keep the stuff that won't fit in our apartment, and retrieved a few decorations for Christmas. I thought it would be helpful to do the decorating little by little, instead of standing around trying to put the tree up, the lights in the windows and the other knick-knacks around the house at the same time. If all goes according to plan, this will prevent me yelling at anyone in December, namely my husband, who is not permitted to decorate but must tell me if things are level that the house looks pretty. Also, he is responsible for carrying heavy items for me. Like the ladder, which is necessary for hanging a lighted garland over a doorway.

So there I was standing on the ladder, making sure all the little doo-dads are stuck on properly and the lights are all lighting and asking John if the thing is even on both sides when I hear a piece of plastic fall to the floor. When I looked down, I found Sophie holding these artificial grapes which hang on the garland next to other fake fruit.
Thinking it was mistletoe, she held it over her little brother's head and gave him the sweetest little kiss. And Harry, who for the first time in his short life seems to know that Christmas is coming and he may not know what it's all about but he sure is into it, he stood stock still, full of wonder over this odd Christmas tradition of kissing under plastic fruit in lieu of mistletoe.

And it was so cute, so amazingly sweet, that I was suddenly filled with Christmas cheer. The kids are thrilled and their excitement is infectious. It's going to be great.


2 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

lol. aren't the holidays just the best!!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww... that is so sweet! I'm bah humbugging it andnd. something like that can turn it around.

Post a Comment

<< Home