Wednesday, August 29, 2007
It Comes with the Territory
Back in March, I turned 35. I mentioned that day that doctors will start using the words "baseline testing" a lot in my presence. That time has come.

Tomorrow I go for my baseline mammogram compliments of The Job. The company covers testing like this every so often and I thought it best to take advantage of it.

This is the test against which all my other mammograms will be compared. People, I don't need to tell you how important stuff like this is. My own mother-in-law is a breast cancer survivor thanks to a routine mammogram. They found a tiny, tiny spot on the film which could have easily been overlooked. But it wasn't and she is now enjoying her grandchildren, her retirement and traveling the country in her RV. Thank god.

I think the test might have weighing on John's mind because this morning he asked me "Will you be OK afterward? Will you be in pain?"

"No, I'll be fine. They're just going to take my breast and squeeze it flat between two metal plates."

Then he made a face, as if to say "how gross!" Maybe, but it beats the alternative.



Here's a link to a breast cancer foundation site with a clever t-shirt design. Their goal is to eradicate the disease in young women: Save 2nd Base


3 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

Been there, done that. Yes, I had my BIG girls squeezed. It actually wasn't bad at all. I mean it. But alas, dear friend, you are a heck of a lot smaller than me, ouch! Nah, shouldn't be bad. Good luck!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie,

Good Luck tomorrow on your mammo - i'm sure you will do fine. I am going to try to talk to the kids on the web cam tonight, so if you get a chance ask John for the password. Love to all of you.

Mom

Blogger Unknown said...

Hope it all turned out ok. I really hate the big squeeze but you;re right, it beats the alternative. I go for mine in November.

Post a Comment

<< Home