Thursday, September 17, 2009
It's In The Cards. Or Not.
We're currently in the process of getting the kids their yearly physicals and medical forms filled out for school.

The problem isn't in getting the forms filled out and the physicals completed. The problem is trying to find the pediatrician that up and retired and explaining to everyone along the way, yet again, why we don't have a yellow card for either of the kids.

It's not that I don't want to have a yellow card for them. I was given a card for Sophie when we were discharged from the hospital. Which I lost. Between not sleeping and the baby care books and the breastfeeding guides and the sheets of paper from the hospital telling me that I could return her at anytime, no questions asked (but please don't leave her on a doorstep) and that I should seek help if I ever feel like shaking the baby, on top of the no sleep, I don't know what happened to it. I just don't. I didn't know it was important.

Then it was time to register Sophie for school and Sister Anna, principal at the parochial preschool was shocked! shocked I tell you! that I didn't have this yellow card.

I called a friend in tears. "What yellow card are they talking about? Why didn't I get one? Did I do something wrong?"

My friend assured me that the card was just a duplication of the medical records the pediatrician keeps and to not worry about it. So I didn't.

Then surprise! Harry was born and the yellow card turned up between the pages of the What to Expect the First Year book.

Yeah, well, that was 4 years after Sophie was born and with the no sleep once again and the nursing and the 4 year old who insisted on wearing a dress to school every day despite the 5 degree January weather....I made the conscious decision to NOT keep a yellow card for Harry. He'd be slighted enough with the few baby photos and no videos and no baby book. Would it really matter if I put them on equal footing in the YELLOW CARD department? Nah, right?

Wrong!

Over the summer, our pediatrician told me she was planning on retiring and it was then that she came to the conclusion that I should have been keeping these yellow cards all along even though I never once showed up with them. Didn't she wonder why I kept asking for copies of our immunization records twice a year, like clockwork?

Now the doctor's gone (some might say vanished, ahem). We're having trouble obtaining our records and we've had to cobble together health histories for the kids from spotty memory and copies of summer camp forms and is it spring break yet?


4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

keep your yellow cards!!!!

Blogger Unknown said...

Everytime I needed Tara's immunization card (yellow card) I had gone crazy looking for it. You'd think I'd keep it in the same place but antway I'd finaly find it and all was right in the world. Actally, 28 years after her birth, I still have it.

Anonymous Vikki said...

I'm in a panic! I don't have yellow cards! I don't even know what yellow cards are! I am DOOMED.

Anonymous Mom said...

I think I still have a couple of yellow cards for 1 or 2 of you!!!

Post a Comment

<< Home