Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Inauguration
In case you hadn't heard, today we will swear in the 44th president of the United States. If you don't have a radio, television or an internet connection, you can gather in at least three locations in Manhattan to watch the ceremony, as well as movie theaters and various restaurants and bars. Now that's something you don't hear everyday: "Watch the inauguration at O'Reilly's Pub."

I was getting antsy about the inauguration because there was no talk of the kids watching it in school. I couldn't believe they'd let a moment like this just pass the kids by.

In my day there would have been a formal assembly and we'd all have to wear navy blue slacks with a white blouse. One class would do some sort of singing with an old battleaxe accompanying us on an out-of-tune piano. I was always in *that* class, stuck in the chorus and hating every minute of it. I always regretted my good health on assembly day.

I considered keeping Sophie home from school so she could watch the inauguration but on Friday the school sent home a note outlining the elaborate juggling to Tuesday's schedule so each and every student could watch Barack Obama be sworn into office. No mention of navy slacks and white blouses, although a rousing chorus of God Bless America does seem appropriate.




3 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

is that today?


lol..

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids watched at school...even the 3 year old. The 3 year old's only comment was that she felt sad seeing George Bush fly away. I was like, "Who RAISED you? Wolves?" Fortunately, I didn't say it out loud.

Blogger Unknown said...

The school I teach at had a full day of celebration. At about 10:30 we had to stand and lisyen to the National anthem. Tehn after sitting we listened to some (I guess) gospel tunes. The 6 - 8 grades chipprf in money and food wa caterwd in. The lunchroom has 3 HDTVs so the inauguration was watched in there by the whole school.

Post a Comment

<< Home