Monday, March 31, 2008
It's Not THAT Long Ago
Last week as I was walking Sophie to school, a soda truck passed us on the street. Not a modern Coca-Cola/Pepsi delivery truck, with refrigerated compartments. An old soda truck, that delivers soda not to a store but to people's homes.

I stopped dead in my tracks and gazed in wonder at this thing on wheels with glass bottles rattling around in the open back. I could have sworn I could smell real cream soda and taste the fizzy, fizzy egg creams I drank as a kid. Sophie looked at me, wondering why I had just frozen on the spot.

"When I was a kid, our soda was delivered by a truck like that to my nana's."

"Really?"

"Yeah, you'd get a case delivered with all sorts of flavors. You'd have loved the black cherry flavor."

"So they'd bring it on a truck like that?"

"Yep. They'd also give you these really cool bottles of seltzer and you could make egg creams with the milk the milk man left you in the morning."

"So they brought milk to you, too?"

"Yep."

"So this was before they had stores?"




Link to a fellow Brooklyn blogger's post about said delivery truck
.
Essay about Eli Miller's seltzer delivery.





4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

I remember how good they tasted.....

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh yeah! Fox's U Bet Chocolate syrup. seltzer and milk. That wa the best egg cream! I remember mt mom had Kirsh or Hoffman sodas delivered.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Luv,

I remember it well, thanks for bringing back such a fond memory. My friend Gloria sent me an article from a newspaper, saying a couple of these were still around. Those were great times !
& Aunt Marilyn is right, you needed Fox's U-Bet syrup.

Love all around, Mom

Blogger AmyV said...

you just made me laugh out loud in the middle of my office...

Post a Comment

<< Home