Monday, January 7, 2008
Identity Theft Update
I've spent the better part of the day at the DA's office tending to matters on my identity theft case. And that's pretty much all I can say about it so I'll just tell you about the experience...'cause that's all I got right now.

I forgot what it's like to enter a government building in NYC. First you empty your pockets of everything into shoe-box sized containers. Then you put your coat, purse and tote bag/briefcase (or whatever other bag you're carrying) into larger bins, which all go through an x-ray machine. Then I walked through a metal detector and when the metal button on my jeans caused it to go off I got The Wand.

Then the guard said "It appears you have some electronic equipment with you. Please remove it from your bag." So out came my cell phone, Blackberry and Palm Pilot. Then the guard said "Keep going." So I fished out my jump drive. Then he gave me an encouraging glance and I fished out the cdma card and my digital camera, which I'd forgotten was even in there. Even I can't believe I carry that much electronic crap around with me.

When I went to retrieve my coat pocket contents from the little boxes I realized that between my purse, briefcase and jacket I was carrying SIX lip balms but the guard was kind enough to not mention it even though it is OBVIOUS I have a serious dependancy.

Going through all that security in a government building is a lot like flying except when you make it past security THERE IS NO BAR. Also, no food. Not even vending machines because this office is an annex and not "downtown," so to speak.

While I was waiting (for three and half hours!) I read all sorts of literature on crime plaguing this city: domestic violence, child abandonment, truancy, child abuse, gangs and internet predation. Fun stuff!

At least now I know how to leave a gang and live to tell about it.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home