Saturday, October 27, 2007
Halloween-a-Palooza
Yesterday the kids had not one but two Halloween parties. The first, at school, ended up being held indoors because of rain. This in and of itself isn't a problem but our school? It isn't exactly the coolest place temperature-wise and once you get a couple of hundred kids running around in an enclosed space it gets even hotter. Al Gore? I think I have an alternative energy source for you: kids, running around in polyester costumes, hopped up on decorate-your-own sugar cookies.

The PTA had some very cute games for the kids, including pumpkin bowling. You set up butternut squash in typical bowling formation and then knock them over with a stemless pumpkin bowling ball. Harry was particularly good at this and he loved hurling pumpkins through the air. It took out a lot of his frustrations over not being able to bring his entire Thomas train set with him to the party.

The second party we attended was for Girl Scouts. This one involved a lot of shrieking and dancing by girls from ages 5-15. At one point, John seemed a little overwhelmed by all the frenetic activity and he asked "Is it always this disorganized? Is this all Girl Scouts is? This is all they do?" Then one of the leaders got all the kids in a circle, had them say the Girl Scout Promise, the Girl Scout Law and the Pledge of Allegiance. I was impressed that the girls could go from 60-0 mph in such a short time, especially when they are in a sugar-fueled high.

Both kids were exhausted by the end of the night, as was I. But the Halloween fun isn't over!

Tonight, we are dropping the kids off at my dad's house. They will have a sleep over and when they wake up on Sunday they will go to another Halloween party. John and I are going out for dinner then we will have a night of sleep uninterrupted by a two year old boy's night terrors and maybe even sleep in late since our six year old won't be up at the crack of dawn watching Cartoon Network. We will have food, in a restaurant, I will eat it hot, because I won't have to cut anyone's dinner up into small pieces first. I will have wine, but not whine, I will eat slowly without reminding the kids to "eat, already!" I will have wine. Oh, and did I mention the sleep?


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning My Luv,
You are blogging bright and early today.
This one had me howling - Al Gore alternative especially!!
I always used to say, when you small, once you have children, you won't eat a decent meal again - its the ending of eating at a normal pace, at least until the children are in their teenage years, and even then - They might have - heaven forbid - food fights!! Sounds like a very busy weekend as usual, I hope you and John have a lovely evening.
Talk to you later,
Love, Hugs and Kisses
Mommy

Blogger Andie said...

heh, heh, heh....maybe Sophie & Harry will have a little brother or sister in their future???? lol
Sounds like the kids had a blast! Poor John, give him a couple of Tylenol. Enjoy your time alone, we don't get many of those.....

Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like the Halloween parties were a success! If the kids had fun, they were. Hope you and John have (or had)a great night! By the way, what did you end up doing for the decorations?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andie,

I was thinking the same thing about Sophie & Harry getting a lil brother or sister!!!LOL

Blogger Meredith said...

Marilyn, I was able to find decorations at Party City. They had some good, non-gory stuff, including the webbing, and some pumpkin patch backdrops. I also picked up some cut outs. Suspiciously, I didn't see any of the decorations displayed, but to be fair, I didn't look in every area the party was being held in.

As for the little brother or sister, which of you is volunteering to come be a full time, live-in nanny for free?

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom

I'll be your Nanny for free, any time.

Luv, Mom

Post a Comment

<< Home