Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Aha! I Knew It Wasn't My Cooking
Both of my children's grandmothers love to tell us that almost everything our kids do or like is directly inherited from them. "Sophie's into breathing? So am I! She gets that from her nana!" "Harry blinks? Our side of the family is BIG on blinking."

Well, nana, your day has come. Researchers at University College London are on to you and I am not ashamed to say that some of my children's pickiness is from you. Well, and from me, too. Being a picky eater could be genetic, as reported in today's New York Times, along with this companion article with tips on how to deal with this genetic disorder, anomaly, neophobic issue. Now that it's out in the open, I feel much better.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mer, Of course it's not your cooking, but i do agree with the experts in the companion article, give them new things to taste before age 2, of course you know i did not do this with you or melanie, but did it with michael, but tastes change, and the things that he liked as a kid does not like now.......whatever....as long as they get something in their system and you are not cooking them meals separatly, you are doing ok.
Love, Mom

Blogger Andie said...

me? I loved sweet potatoes as a toddler. now? can't stand 'em.
GOOD LUCK!

Blogger Unknown said...

Talk about how tastes change... when I was younger (even into my early 20s) I couldn't stand provolone cheese, Italian salami, eggplant, and many other foods. Now I love those things. Mer, you might not remember the time your mom was at my house with you guys and I made dinner. I was cutting up a onion for a salad. Tara, who HATED onions kept putting her hand up on the counter for a piece of cucumber (that's what she thought it was)She would not believe me when I told her it was onion. So rather than she stick her hand under the knife, I let her take a slice. She took a huge bite out of it and then began to cry because of the onion taste. It really was funny. Anyway, now Tara LOVES onions.

Blogger Meredith said...

I remember when Tara ate that onion! Over the summer, we ate out at a restaurant and Sophie ate the slice of onion that came with her burger. I instantly thought of the onion incident with Tara. I was prepared for crying, gagging, voluntary vomiting. She just chomped away at the onion. She hasn't had one since but she said she liked it. Oh well.

Post a Comment

<< Home