Tuesday, October 16, 2007
More Expedition News
Alas, no Nathan's hot dog lunch yesterday. The grocery shopping took the better part of the morning and by the time it was lunch, well, it just sort of fell by the wayside. I had a respectable lunch with low-fat tortillas, black beans, cheese, salsa and chipotle sauce. Just as yummy. Alright, not really but it was still good. Marilyn, I might go tomorrow....email me your number!

So yesterday, I decided to try roasted cauliflower. Have you ever had it? I'd never tried it before until recently, in our office cafeteria of all places. I was convinced to throw it into my salad after hearing Alli over at the Cleaner Plate Club talk about it. It is all the rage at work now and people have been known to just get a sandwich if they can't get the roasted goods for their salad. Yes, it's that good!

If you like cauliflower, but think it doesn't pack much of a flavor punch, then turn on your oven to 450 or 475, grab a roasting pan and prepare yourself for a really good, really easy side dish. It might be good for Thanksgiving if you like lots of veggies with your bird.
For $2.99, I bought this:

A great big head of cauliflower!


I cut it up, tossed with olive oil, kosher salt and a quick grind of black pepper.


Roasted it in the oven until it was tender, but not too mushy. Here's what it looks like:




That's a bad picture but roasting brings out an intense flavor that's almost sweet and he burnt bits were the best part. I couldn't stop eating it. I served it with london broil brushed with worcestershire sauce, which the kids don't like on their burgers. Apparently, when you brush it on london broil, it makes "the best steak ever!" Or so says Sophie. She didn't care for the cauliflower, neither did Harry but they scarfed down the steak. So, we are 2.5 - 2 in the Culinary Expedition. As always, we remain optimistic.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Luv, that cauliflower looks delish!! Can't wait to make it. Cauliflower is one of my faves and can eat it plain. Well, my love have a great day. Love you,
Mom

Blogger Andie said...

awe, no Nathan's! although those tacos sounded pretty darn good. MMM, I feel the same as your mom with cauliflower. I can eat it any which way. Try it boiled, then mashed with butter like mashed potatoes. My son loves it that way.

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with your mom and Ande... I love cauliflower too. I especially like the unhealthy fried cauliflower... YUM! What you made looks really good. I need to try it. I'm sending you my number.

Post a Comment

<< Home