Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Back at Work
And not a moment too soon! Finally I get a break from relaxing, catching up on daytime TV, napping, chatting on the phone with friends, not rushing anywhere and all the other leisurely activities that ate up my time last week. Whew! I don't know how much more of that I could have taken.

This week we are going to prepare for Halloween-a-palooza. Friday there is a Halloween party at school and immediately following there is another party at Girl Scouts. From 4pm to 9pm the kids will be running around in costume getting hopped up on Halloween-themed candy.

I volunteered to donate a baked good for the school to sell at the party along with decorations. Last week, with gobs of time on my hand, it seemed like a good idea. Now? Not so much but I really like the PTA President so I'm happy to help out. I'm thinking of dipping mini pretzels into chocolate, then rolling in orange colored sprinkles. Cute, festive, semi healthy, no baking and not all that difficult. I think. I hope. We'll see. Do they even sell only orange sprinkles?

No real news on the Culinary Expedition except that last night, I made mashed butternut squash. I add butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. It's like mashed sweet potatoes and yummy. Sophie wouldn't eat hers but when one piece of her turkey fell into the squash, she balked at eating it. I told her "Lick it off, then you can eat the turkey." She fell for it! She totally licked off the squash and didn't realize that this meant she actually ate some of it. Sucker.

Harry-boy, on the other hand, told me he didn't like squash. In a rare departure from his usually irrational 2 year old nature, I asked if he'd ever eaten squash. "No," said. (Which isn't true but whatever.)

"Try it, then. You might like it!" And, just like that, he ate the squash. He didn't scream. Or make the "angry eyes" that he makes when I serve something that isn't a chicken nugget or a french fry. He just picked up his spoon and tried it. He only ate the one spoonful but he ate it. D'you hear me, people? He ate it. Without tears. I think this experiment is working!


2 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

It was great to see you last week. I enjoyed our lunch immensely! Enjoy all of the Halloween festivities.

Blogger Unknown said...

I wish I could fool my husband with squash the way you fooled Sophie & Harry. Freddie hates squash. I make it the way you do and he won't even try it. Too bad he's an adult and fooling him isn't easy. Have a wonderful and safe Halloween!

Post a Comment

<< Home