Thursday, January 14, 2010
Heavy Hearted
So. Haiti. Wow.

I mean, really. WOW.

I'm not being glib. I simply can't peel my eyes away from the news and slideshows and interactive features that are all over the media. And I don't know else to say except WOW. I did not know the earth could move like that and create such disaster.

My heart is heavy for the people of Haiti, for fellow Americans who are living there, many for missionary or philanthropic purposes, for the victims, for their families. For those who are waiting for news of their loved ones and for the relief workers who have long, grim days ahead of them.

My complaints this week, about suffering with toys being all over the place and children who refuse to dress themselves in a more timely manner, being late for school and work and a cat that poops on the floor and broken heating systems and deadlines and never being on top of cleaning this house....well, I'll keep those small, petty, problems, thank you very much. Because THAT is not suffering.

To quote the President's email this afternoon: "It's in times like these that we must show the kind of compassion and humanity that has defined the best of our national character for generations."

Like every other blogger out there, I encourage you to give as much as you can to a reputable charity for this cause. Here are but a few:

Doctors without Borders
American Red Cross
Oxfam


3 Comments:

Anonymous mom said...

So very, very sad. I have a hard time watching the news because i cry so much. But of course i will donate.

Blogger Unknown said...

The devastation is horrible and Cheryl I too cry to see the news. I'll send something to the Red Cross.

Anonymous Vikki said...

Yep. Wow.

Post a Comment

<< Home