Friday, February 13, 2009
The Magic Garden
So the other day I noticed my friend Andi had become a fan of The Magic Garden page on Facebook, which prompted me to join, too. If you didn't grow up in New York City in the 70's, you're probably scratching your head saying "Whut? Magic Garden?" If so, then you were deprived, my friend. And I am sorry.


The Magic Garden was a children's show that aired on WPIX in New York City in the 70's. It was beloved and despite it's popularity in New York City, it never caught on anywhere else because at the time, WPIX's broadcast radius was so small.

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was a big, glitzy Broadway production compared to The Magic Garden. But what it lacked in flashiness it made up for in folk songs, pink squirrel puppets and a patch of daisies that grew jokes printed on little pieces of paper. When the punchline was delivered, they giggled and shook and it was the best part of my day. And when the garden gates closed at the end of every episode I would cry my eyes out. Thursdays were the worst, because that meant the show wouldn't be on again until Monday and no amount of Saturday morning cartoons could make up for it.

After joining the group on Facebook, I learned that a DVD was release and it contains at least four hours worth of Magic Garden episodes. Tomorrow, Netflix is going to deliver it to my doorstep. I don't think they've remastered the material but I'm sure it's better quality than what's up on YouTube.


They've been asking lately what kind of television shows we watched as kids. They really like The Muppet Show and The Smurfs so I can't wait to show them this.


3 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

lucky stiff! let me know how it is to watch them again!!

Blogger Unknown said...

I was all grown up in the 70's and Tara wasn't born yet. My only kids at that time were you guys, but I never watched that show.... but that's ok, when Tara was younger I couldn't understand what she saw in Mr. Rogers. I thought he was sooo boring!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Mom remembers - you really did love that show, i can still hear you laughing at the "chuckle patch"
Love,
Mom

Post a Comment

<< Home