Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Another One Bites the Dust - OR - The Preschooler's Verson of "Who's On First?"
Lovey II has passed on. And by passed on I mean it has disappeared. When I ask Harry where it is he says "in my backpack." But then I remind him that he took it to the sitter. "Did you hide it somewhere?" I ask. (Harry is famous for putting things in other things and then forgetting all about it. Kinda like my husband and his checkbook.)

"Yes."

"Where did you hide it?"

"In my backpack."

"Did you take it somewhere?"

"Yes."

"Where?"

"I don't know."

"What do you think happened to it?"

"I don't know. Is it in the wash?"

"No, remember? You brought it last week to the sitter. Did you hide it?"

"Yes."

"Did you lose it?"

"Yes."

"Which one?"

"Which one what?"

"Did you lose it or hide it?"

"Yes."

"Which one?"

"Which one what?"

That went on for a few days now. So Saturday morning I taught Harry all about the internet and how it is a magical tool for buying things with credit cards and *poof!* the things you buy arrive at your doorstep, delivered by UPS Joe, who is everyone's favorite UPS guy, me included because he has never once mentioned the time I answered the door in my bathrobe at 4pm in the afternoon while on maternity leave with Sophie. What a guy! Now Harry has to learn patience, as we wait for the package to be delivered via free ground shipping.

But Harry has learned other things in the process, including the emotion sadness. Yesterday I heard whimpering and found him in his crib. Just sitting there, recalling all the fun he and Lovey II had had together. When I asked him what was wrong he said "I'm SAD because I miss Lovey." So I gave him chocolate.

He's also learned stoicism. The other night I heard him in his bed and when I went in he was crying. I tried to comfort him and told him a new one would be coming soon. Then he said "Just go! Leave me alone!." So I gave myself chocolate.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi My Precious,
My poor Harry Boy, tears are streaming down because i feel so sad for him. The blog is very funny until i got to the sad part.

Love all around, and Harry-Boy, be brave a new one will be there soon. I love you soooo much, please don't be sad. Sophie, I love you soooo much too, of course.

Love, Mom & Nana

Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! yOU ARE TOO FUNNY mER! tELL hARRY i'M SORRY ABOUT lOVEY BUT THE NEW ONE WILL BE THerE SOON. (Didn't realize the caps were on) Doesn't chocolate solve everything? I could use a nice piece of sugar free dark chocolate right now!

Blogger Andie said...

OMG! That sounds like a conversation that I have almost everyday with John Mike. He NEVER knows where he puts anything!
Give him a hug from me.

Post a Comment

<< Home