Monday, March 23, 2009
Random Topics for a Monday
There has been no joy in mudville lately, but lots of stuff going on.

We got our taxes done, which was about as fun as a heart attack, and that's ironic because that's I had a heart attack when I saw how much we owe the government.

We're all still ill with what I think may be The Plague. The pediatrician thinks it is not The Plague, but she said that with a full night's sleep under her belt and a medical degree to back up her hypothesis, so what does she know? Still, we are all coughing, sneezing, sniffling, unable to sleep, breathe or live like human beings ought to. She sent us home with antibiotics for the kids and told us to suck it up. Actually, she didn't say to suck it up. I made that part up but she probably would have if I'd kept complaining. Oh, and the medicine I bought the other night for Harry? Made him break out into an itchy rash, which miraculously disappeared when we arrived at the doctors office. Funny how that works.

But then. THEN! There were two robins in our yard on Saturday afternoon so Spring has certainly arrived. Thank God.

Crazy stuff, this job searching. My freelance assignment will end on March 31st. The summer off would be nice but you know, there's the food we like to eat and the clothes we like to wear. So, you know, with the prospect of starvation and nudity looming I've been busy applying to jobs and writing the dreaded cover letter. I hate writing cover letters. I might like getting my taxes done more than I like writing cover letters. They are so dorky and you wouldn't ever speak like that in an interview. But they're necessary so I trudge through the internet looking for the least dorky sounding snippets I can use and still sound like a normal person.

The one job I am most interested in has not contacted me. Yet. Must say yet in the spirit of optimism. I stalk the posting on the employment site it is listed on. I want the listing to still be there so I know the position hasn't been filled. That way I can fantasize that they are busy making plans to have me come aboard because they can't believe their luck in finding someone so perfect for the position. On the other hand, if it is no longer listed I can move on already (and fantasize that they are regretting hiring the current employee). The job is at a university and I know I could do it and it would mean a pay cut BUT it would mean access to a university and a new degree with a new career one day. Keep your fingers crossed for me, wouldja?


5 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

good luck...crossing fingers, toes, eyes...well, you get the point.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, sorry to hear that all of you are still not feeling well. I was going to call you tonite, but i thought that maybe you were still not up to par. I am wishing you all the best of luck with the job search. Although, you are so funny (even when sick) that i think you should apply for a stand-up comedian in a comedy club. You would be employed right away.
Love, hugs and kisses to all.
Hope you all feel better soon.
Love, Mom

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with your mom... you should be a stand up comedian. Anyway, good luck with the job search and hope you're all feeling better.

Blogger Ali B. said...

Sorry about the taxes, sorry about the sick, sorry about the awful process that is the job hunt. I had been busily (and therefore mostly happily) freelancing, and then got all nervous about the economy. I applied for a full-time 2-year position (that I was perfect for, if I do say so myself), and have not heard. That was a month ago. What gives? Oh, right. The fact that they probably had 14,000 resumes for the one position.

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. When you feel better, do the same for me? Thanks.

Blogger Meredith said...

Thanks for all the support, everyone. We all seem to be on the mend.

Ali, totally crossing my fingers for you. Good luck!

Post a Comment

<< Home