Monday, June 16, 2008
Resistance is Now Futile
Potty training Harry has been an uphill battle. While my legs are chained to anvils.

He has been so resistant to the entire process and mature adult that I am, I've resorted to some of the worst parenting ever. Like when I put him back in diapers and in extreme frustration said "big boys use the potty, babies use diapers," thinking that'd make him come around. Like most of the men in my life, Harry dismissed me and my crazy way of thinking and focused on something else.

I've reminded him of younger boys who are potty trained, I've bribed him with candy, stickers and the Sodor Collapsing Suspension Bridge. We've bought underwear with Thomas the Tank Engine, Cars and Spider Man printed on them. He has visited the restroom with all his potty-trained friends, his mother, father and even his sister.

I was about to take him to the pediatrician to ask her for advice when we found Speed Racer underwear. This is the licensed product he has been waiting for his whole life. All three years of it. This three-packis the answer to my prayers. He loves this set of underwear and willingly uses the toilet to keep them pristine. Finally, it has clicked with him. He understands how it works. He gets it.

Last night I was flipping through the Target circular and came across the baby care section. I thought to myself "Oh, diapers are on sale this week," Then reminded myself that we don't need no stinkin' diapers!

I decided I'm getting a pedicure with the money I'll save not buying diapers this month. AND a bottle of wine.


4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

Congrats Sir Harry!! That's awesome news!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi My Harry Boy, excuse me, my big big Harry Boy - Congratulations on a job well done - you've come a long way, my little buddy. Love You, Nana
To Mommy, enjoy that pedicure and wine!!
Love all around,
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats to you both! Wine is definitely in order.

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow Harry! You are now becoming a little man! Congratulations to you and Mom!!! Enjoy your pedicure and I KNOW you'll enjoy the wine!

Post a Comment

<< Home