Wednesday, November 28, 2007
Another Day in New York
If I had a nickel for every time I've been delayed during my commute because of a "police investigation," I wouldn't need the job I commute to. But they don't give you a nickel every time that happens, and so here I am, still commuting on the subway to work every morning.

This morning's commute was quite exciting. There was a "police investigation," but this time, it was unfolding right before my eyes. I got to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Street and found that I couldn't board the A train, because it was half in and half out of the station. There was a uniformed police officer talking to the driver of the train and I overheard him say to pull the train in a little more but "DO NOT open the doors." He then instructed other police in the station where to position themselves on the platform. There were other plain clothes cops upstairs at the landings and near the exits. People, including me, were standing around more or less useless but we listened when were were all told to "back up, back up."

One woman was standing there, looking very annoyed. Finally, she piped up, with all the bitchiness she could muster. "Excuse me. What's going on?
I'm late for work."

The cop interrupted his instructions to the train driver to answer her. "Ma'am, there was a robbery. The suspect is still on the train."

That was all the reason I needed. Suspect? On the train? Take your time! But was that good enough for Little Miss Fancy Pants in High-Heels? Of course not.

"Well, I'm LATE. I appreciate the update but like, how long is this going to take?"

If the cop had been less busy no one could blame him if he'd told that little snot off. But he was actually very nice about it, considering he was, you know, trying to track down a robbery suspect on a crowded train. Instead he told her to walk back to Jay Street, which really pissed off Little Miss Fancy Pants in High-Heels. She turned on her heel, pushed her way through the crowd and stormed off.

When all was said and done, the police arrested the suspect. I saw them lead him away in handcuffs and he was quite cooperative about it. After that, it was all very boring. There was no dusting for fingerprints or taking the train out of service for evidence. There were no witness interviews or statements taken that I could see. In fact, apart from the train in the station being locked down, almost all business went on as usual, with other trains entering and leaving the station, dropping off and picking up passengers, most people oblivious to the whole incident.

I was able to board that A train and it went its usual route. By the time we reached 14th Street in Manhattan, the train was overcrowded, I was knocked into with a tennis racket, someone was offering the homeless sandwiches and someone else was preaching about how Jesus saved him from the crack vial and he will save you too (if only you would trust in him!).

This is the part when I tell you that it is just another day in New York.

What's not to love?


Blogger Andie said...

Boy, you had a full day even before you got to work!!!

Blogger CatMar said...

I have to tell you you take all of a typical day in NY well. Little Miss Fancy Pants in high heels (LOL)... of course she was in a huff... would you want to walk to work in high heels? I certainly am very happy not to be working in the city anymore. I was like little Miss Fancy Pants when I traveled the train. LOL

Post a Comment

<< Home