Wednesday, September 19, 2007
Now It's, Like, Serious
Last week I mentioned the Culinary Expedition of Fall 2007. Once a week or so I will make something new, something the kids haven't eaten and there will be no chicken nugget safety net.

They say the best way to accomplish a goal is to say it out loud to someone who is listening. It is supposed to give you a sense of ownership and obligation. I feel obligated now to make good on this ever since Katie made me the subject of one of her posts over at ice cream is not for breakfast.

Now I really have to get rid of my chicken nuggets!

But seriously folks, October 1st draws nigh. The kids think I'm bluffing. I'M NOT. The other day Sophie told me "OK, I'll try new things. I've been wanting to try new desserts anyway."

Ha!

It's not new desserts, kiddo. It's lunch-y, supper-y foods that are on the menu and it's only once a week. There WILL be soup. Homemade. They will help and they will eat it. I have a great "recipe" which is nothing more than:

Saute onion and garlic
Add broth
Add other vegetables and canned tomato product
Season
At the last minute, toss in green peas and zucchini
Maybe some beans
It is soup

Seriously, if you get a good can of tomatoes (San Marzano crushed tomatoes are a good choice) and you use very fresh ingredients, the soup is really good and simple, sweet even. The hardest part is cutting the veggies into small dice.

There will be other foods that normally I bypass when leafing through recipes because I don't want to go through the trouble only to hear complaints at the table. I'm thinking chicken and dumplings. Cold sesame noodles (which would be great for the lunch box, don't you think?), Waldorf chicken salad, barbecue chicken pizza, chicken marsala, beef brisket. Nothing off the wall, just foods my kids swear they hate. Wish us luck!

And thanks, Katie!


4 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

lol what's for dinner?

Blogger Unknown said...

That all sounds good. Good luck Mer.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of luck you are going to need it especially with these two. They don't even like butter!!! I just cant get over that one.

love, Mom

Love your post, Meredith's Mom. I could hear echoes of my own mother giggling as she watches us kids try to navigate all those parenting traps we swore we'd never encounter...

Post a Comment

<< Home