Wednesday, June 17, 2009
The Secret to My "Success"
I'm still at the ex-job and it's been really busy. There is more work coming up and I'm acting like an immature jerk whining about having all this employment lined up when it was just a few months ago when I was succumbing to Bread Line Hysteria. It's all good though, just a bit tense at the moment but I'll have a couple of weeks off between gigs to relax a little.

Next week I will attend the 2nd grade year end party. I'm responsible for bringing...um... stuff? Oh, right. Paper goods. That seems like something I can handle picking up and it doesn't require refrigeration or prep work. Taking the easy way out is the key to these activities, I've found. That's why I never bring the fruit salad. Too much advance shopping and prep work and I can never remember which fruit is taboo in the classroom due to allergies and I would like to end the year on an UP note, not an "Oh, There's THAT MOM Who Brought in the Fruit Salad of Death" kind of note.

That kind of reputation follows you around, you know.

Also it is hard to pick up a premade fruit salad the day of the party when you are running down the street, late as it is, yelling at your 2nd grader "Hurry up! I still have to find a fruit salad at CVS." But they totally carry paper plates and napkins and so my rule this last school year was "volunteer to only bring stuff CVS sells so you can pick it up on the way to school because you will forget to do it in the three weeks preceeding the event."

It worked. Huzzah!

After the celebration, Sophie's teacher has arranged for the class to take a Mystery Field Trip. Sophie asked if I knew where we were going and I didn't. Oh sure, I got an email about it but other than that, my mind is drawing a blank. So I imagine I will just as surprised as the kids and judging by how excited Sophie is I think I'm going to love it.


3 Comments:

Anonymous mom said...

Good Morning Love, Have a great time at the party & field trip, I'm sure you both will love it.
Love all around,
Mom

Blogger Andie said...

have a great time at the party & field trip--where'd you go?

Anonymous Vikki said...

Three years ago, I voluteered to bring the fruit salad to an early morning school event. I have still not recovered from the shoppin' and choppin'. This year, I brought juice. Good thinking on the paper goods!

Post a Comment

<< Home