Monday, July 7, 2008
Monday Mornings Weren't Meant for Conversations Like This
"Hello mom? Hi. When Dad flies down to pick me up this week can you ask him to bring my mix stick? I left it in the car."

"No, I put it in your backpack."

"No, I left it in the car when we got to the hotel. In Virginia. I forgot it."


"No, no you didn't. I saw it when we were getting you settled into Grammy's car. I put it in your backpack."


"But I was LISTENING to it and left in OUR car."

"No, I saw it when I was getting your stuff together when you were leaving with Grammy. I put it in the front pocket of your backpack."


"But then I took it out."


"OK, can I just explain? I'm walking into work. I'm late as it is. Your mix stick is in your backpack. I know you were listening to it and left it on the seat but before I said goodbye to you I put it in your back. Pack. BACKPACK."


"Well, it's not in there."


"Yes it is."

"No, it isn't. I left it in the car. OUR car."


"Did you look? Really look? Maybe it's under your Nintendo DS. Or the six books. Or your journal. Or your summer homework packet. Or your Webkinz. Or your Calico Critters. Or the portable DVD player."


"Nope, not there."


"Do you understand now why you have a mixstick and not a video ipod?"

"YES."

{silence}

"Grammy wants to talk to you."


*

More on Monticello:
While visiting Thomas Jefferson's house on Friday we learned that George W. Bush addressed the crowD in person at the naturalization ceremony. (We originally thought someone would recite a letter he'd written.)

All the tour guides at the house told us how "wonderful" his speech was, how well it went, how exciting it was to have him visit.
Funny, no one mentioned the heckling. Or the "Fuck You!" that was yelled. Or how he was blamed for bringing fascism to this country. Or the protesters calling for his impeachment and/or arrest.

Oh, why am I telling you. See for yourself!
I'm truly, truly sorry I missed it.


2 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

wait until she hits the teenage years......

Blogger Unknown said...

Ande is sooooo right I don't think I have enough fingers to count on the many things Tara has lost (misplaced) through the years!!!

If I was in Monticello July 4, I would have been one of the hecklers!!

Post a Comment

<< Home