Thursday, July 3, 2008
Happy Birthday, America
This weekend we are meeting up with my in-laws in Monticello where we will participate in the Independence Day Celebration and Naturalization Ceremony featuring remarks by (Still) President George W. Bush. We think this means he writes a letter for someone to read at the ceremony, which won't be half as amusing as watching him stumble over his words in person. If there are any soon-to-be citizens reading this, all I can say is "Welcome to democracy! The best part is voting for your leader. And sometimes that's also the worst part but only a few more months left with this one!"

As John, Harry and I drive back to NY Saturday, Sophie will depart with her Grammy and Granddad to attend a family reunion before driving home to Texas with them. This is her first extended absence from me us. I'm a bit anxious but I know this will be a good experience for her and my in-laws. Lots of time spent together, traveling the open road, etc. My inlaws are planning on taking her to some caverns and when I told Sophie this she said "Caverns? I don't want to go there!" in that please-don't-make-me-go voice.

I started to talk it up and convince her that it'd be fun! An adventure! A learning experience! Then I shut my mouth because HA! I don't need to argue with her over this since I'm not the one taking her. Yes, this trip is going to be great even if I miss my daughter already.

If time allows on the way home, I'd like to take the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park. It's s'posed to be real purty. I'm having a bit of a love affair with the National Parks of late. It started when John and I realized that traveling with the kids was getting easier and that we'd like to take a real vacation somewhere soon that doesn't involve setting up camp at a relative's home because it is free or a place centered around characters from certain movies. When John talked about seeing the National Parks as a young'n, I was hooked. I really hope we can fit this in.

John will leave next week to fly Sophie home and while he's gone I will get to spend a lot of quality time with Harry. To say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement. Harry prefers his Dad to almost everyone else, except maybe Speed Racer or any of the engines which comprise the Sodor Railway. I can't wait to not split my time between kids or worry if my affection, attention or hugs are being recorded against me.

Last night I explained to Harry the complex travel arrangements we've made and ended it with "So you and I will have some time to spend together! Isn't that great?"

He just looked at me and said "I think you should fly and I should stay here with Dad." Thanks, kid.

Anyway, Happy Birthday America. You don't look a day over 203, which was the last time we had a gas crisis.

Have a great 4th everyone!



2 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

lol, hope Sophie has a great time anyway, with granny & grandpa. Happy 4th!

Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Fourth of July!!! Sophie will have a memorable experience with her grandparents. Tell her I've been to caverns and claustrophobic me had no problems being in them. Have a happy trip Sophie ... and Harry, you will have a fun week with your mom!

Post a Comment

<< Home