Monday, October 13, 2008
Oh Well
So much for a voting theme this month. I had a strong start for about three days. Maybe four. But I've been so busy losing my 401k and watching the market crash and reading this blog I haven't had time to post. Then we spent the Columbus day weekend off in the woods with the kids, avoiding the news and the economy, eking out two more campfires, picking apples and pumpkins and seeing just how many chicken fingers my kids can eat at restaurants. (You don't want to know the answer to that question, my friend. See? I got a political reference in there!)

We had a blast but little photographic evidence of this fun-filled bank-holiday weekend because our camera up and died. Shame, too, because the great state of Pennsylvania is having one hell of a fall. But what follows in this post is what I was able to salvage out of the camera create in photoshop.

The kids got to do some dressing up and got a headstart on their halloween candy binge at a trunk or treating event followed by campfires and s'mores to see if we could get the kids to eat any more sugar. They are champs, those kids of mine.

Here's a picture of one of the apple trees from my favorite orchard where we picked apples and pumpkins on Sunday.

And here's a picture of this year's pumpkin:

About 3 or 4 years ago, back in the heady days of the real estate bubble, the owners sold their land to a developer. The worst part wasn't that they sold to a developer (okay, yes it is) but their farm store was closed and our source of apple cider donuts was gone. Oh, sure, you can get cider donuts at just about any orchard but not THESE cider donuts. Here's how good they are: if were still a young lass without husband and children and you told me that these cider donuts were better than sex I'D BELIEVE YOU AND NOT TRY TO PROVE YOU WRONG.

A few weeks ago we happened to stop at a farm stand in New Jersey and I struck up a conversation with the owner. We got on the subject of apples and I mentioned my favorite orchard. The owner told me that they'd reopened. I don't know exactly what happened but the developer couldn't sell the houses or couldn't get more financing or....whatever, they're making cider donuts and running the farm again. Hooray for housing bubbles bursting!

So I call the orchard last Thursday and ask if it's true that they've reopened and keep the guy on the phone for five minutes longer than he probably wanted. I'm talking this guys ear off about how our family just loves their cider donuts and how we have such fond memories of apple picking there and how lovely their land is....yadda yadda yadda. I'm sure he hung up and asked to have the weekend off if a nutcase like me was on her way.

We showed up on Sunday and after harvesting apples and pumpkins, I found my way into the store and made a beeline for the lady who makes the donuts. And my opening line to her is "YOU are a sight for sore eyes!" What am I, 70? Who talks like that anymore? She was all business and had no time for my silliness. I somehow managed to contain my enthusiasm and ask for a dozen. Between Sunday and Monday I consumed four...all as good as I remembered.
The silver lining in all this is that I now have an excuse to buy a new camera. The downside is now I have to buy a new camera.


3 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

rofl...hope those donuts are well worth it!! enjoy!

Blogger Unknown said...

Even without your camera you're making some beautiful family memories for Sophie and Harry.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice Pics, heh, heh!
Love Ya,
Mom

Post a Comment

<< Home