Friday, September 26, 2008
C'mon. Tease Me, Baby.
We've been having fashion issues in our house lately. It seems Harry, who only a few short weeks ago fit into all his 3T pants, has sprouted and now they're all too short for him.

Sophie, who sprouted over the summer and did get some new clothes before the start of school has decided that the tasteful outfits we bought a month ago just won't cut it.

The conversation started not the night before last, or when we were in the car driving but as we were walking out the door to go to school yesterday morning.

"The kids are going to make fun of me!" she said. Then she started to cry and told me how the boys in her class make fun of her clothes. If she wears brown they call her "brownie" and if she wears pink they call her "flamingo."

I sat her down and told her all the motherly things the situation required, reminded her that she should wear what she wants and not let a bunch of boys dictate her wardrobe, told her to ignore them or tell the teacher if it gets bad and finished it off with the usual "the boys might be teasing you because they like you." (In my opinion this theory of why boys tease girls never made sense and it killed me to say it but it was 8:35 am).

"What?"

"Sometimes boys tease girls if they like them. Or think they're pretty. Maybe that's why they tease you." She seemed skeptical.

"Haven't you ever noticed Daddy teasing me? He makes fun of me and sometimes it makes me so mad! I guess he likes me."

This cheered her up, enough to not have to go back into the house and find a whole new outfit to wear. She even laughed.

Fast forward to 11 am when I noticed John online. I shot him an instant message and filled him in on the drama and ended it with "...so do me a favor tonight. don't ask why but tease me when you come home....i'm wearing a green shirt today. tell me i look like an olive."


5 Comments:

Blogger Andie said...

lol..I was a plum today!

Blogger Unknown said...

ok.... I was a bluberry today! LOL

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Luv,
You handled it well, as usual. I'm sure its just a phase. I'm dying to know the outcome of how John teased you, and Sophie's reaction. By the way, i was an apple!
Love all around,
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did he call you an olive? Very sweet way of handling this.

Blogger Meredith said...

Actually, he missed calling me an olive but he did make up for it by calling me a pumpkin when I wore an orange sweater the next day.

Post a Comment

<< Home